Dusty from the Walk

I shall spend two years in Israel at Hebrew University of Jerusalem. I hope to travel and spend time at sites, but more importantly, I want to grow closer to Jesus as a talmid (disciple) of His. What better thing than to walk right behind Him soaking up His every word and action?

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Scheduling

Well, it's taking some time getting used to the fact that weekends are Friday-Saturday and NOT Saturday-Sunday. It's interesting how culture influences things. Because the culture in Roman times had a day off on Sunday, it was only natural to meet on that day. So far, I haven't found a scripture that says they STOPPED meeting on Saturday, and I've only found 2 references (Acts 20:7; I Cor 16:2) that refer to the first day of the week (and those don't HAVE to be specifically tied to worship, though they could be). We also have scheduling conflicts with when a day starts. Notice in Gen 1 that "there was EVENING and there was MORNING, day...." In the Jewish calendar, the day starts at night, which opens up another big deal about the resurrection. I don't want to get into that now, and I really didn't mean for this to get into a big (I mean small;-) theological exposition. Considering the weight placed on the Sabbath in both the Hebrew Bible AND the New Testament, I can't help but think G-d is ok with worshiping him on Shabbat. This whole blog was free; no charge:-)

I had orientation yesterday, and I'm really excited about the upcoming year! More to come....

Shalom,

Geoff

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home