Dusty from the Walk

I shall spend two years in Israel at Hebrew University of Jerusalem. I hope to travel and spend time at sites, but more importantly, I want to grow closer to Jesus as a talmid (disciple) of His. What better thing than to walk right behind Him soaking up His every word and action?

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Shabbat Meal

Friday night I went to the Cotel (Western Wall). One of the things that I've wanted to do in Israel since I found out about it is eat dinner on Shabbat with a Jewish family. That dream came true Friday night as myself and two friends observed hundreds of Jews flock to the Cotel to pray. While we were there we were invited to come to a Shabbat meal. (You must understand that Shabbat is a holiday; no one works. It's really a very beautiful thing that we have lost in our Western culture and in Christendom. It's beautiful to know that all over Israel (and the world) good observant Jews are sitting at home with their spouses and children talking and enjoying one another's company. No pressing matters converge on the conversations; everyone is safe at home with one another.)

The meal consisted of several courses: sweet fish and chala (sweet bread); soup; chicken; then dessert. Joice and coke (soda for you others) was available to drink. We ate and talked for a short while. I met a guy formerly from Dallas. Then a guy spoke about the importance of keeping Shabbat (hey, if it's good enough for G-d, then it's good enough for us - he didn't say that, but that's what I'm saying;-). The head of the dinner spoke about keeping the commandments in Israel, and how easy it is to forget the blessings of fulfilling a mitzva (commandment) when simply living in the land of Israel. I know that we in Christianity look at Torah/nomos (law) in a different way than Jews do - at least, most of us. To us, it is binding and restrictive. To a Jew the Torah is beautiful and opens people to true freedom. What was that Jesus said? "If you love me, you will obey what I command." I'm telling you, these Jews love G-d with everything they have!

Then they opened it up to anyone who would like to say something (in Hebrew or English) - basically teach. The offer was to young and old, men and women. Oh, you should know that the women served while probably 75-100 men sat down to eat. I know, it's not my favorite either for you ladies; I thought the women should have joined us at the table, too. Anyway, it was a great evening, and as always, I consider it such a blessing to be here in Jerusalem to witness this kind of thing.

Shalom (and sorry for the length),

Geoff

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home